Do you want to skip the read and get right to my top pick? The best website maker for kids for some people is Squarespace.
One of the challenges that many households had to deal with during the pandemic was how to keep their children busy and occupied. It wasn’t even a matter of staving off boredom or the addition of a welcome break to the homeschooling routine, but more of a way of letting children express themselves beyond the usual crafting projects or creative pursuits.
In this review, we present our top five website builder for kids that enable younger users to maximise their creativity online.
What are the Best Website Maker for Kids?
A website maker for kids is one that offers the following features to users fifteen years old and under:
- The easiest-possible website building for kids software that they can learn how to use;
- An extensive range of design templates and dynamic elements to help them express themselves; and
- A dynamic blogging or multimedia interface that lets children – and most especially those in their tweens and teens – show their work off online.
In addition, these website maker for kids should be able to teach children skills that could help them out later in life, like the fundamentals of web design or the basics of ecommerce. These kids website creator should, as much as possible, also offer parental controls so that parents and guardians can protect these youngsters from potential threats.
Our List of the Best Website Builder for Kids:
Our top five choices for the best website builder for kids that are fun, easy to use, and child-friendly are as follows:
- Squarespace – best kids website creator for artistic children
- Zyro – website builder for kids for exploring minds
- SITE123 – best kids website creator for beginners
- Wix – general best kids website creator
- DoodleKit– great security features
How We Chose the Best Website Maker for Kids:
Ease of use and the availability of templates with a kid-pleasing aesthetic are the primary factors when it comes to choosing kids website creator. Likewise, we feel that there should also be parental or guardian controls with which to monitor a child’s use of the site builder and also to screen for any untoward activity in terms of comments or followers once the site is up.
That said, we have also considered whether or not our top five website builders for kids are up to snuff with regard to giving children creative freedom, whether these are resilient in terms of loading time and uptime, and whether these may be availed of for free or if parents need to spend even a token amount to let their kids use the platform.
Our Best Website Builders for Kids in Detail:
Here's a brief review of each kids website creator on our list:
If your child is keen on blogging either through words or visual media, then Squarespace is the kids website creator you should consider.
The thing about this platform is that it’s a great way to start a child off when it comes to consistency in design as well as giving them a solid grounding when it comes to website creation – a skill that, hopefully, they will be able to use when they are older.
Likewise, Squarespace’s blogging function is a beautiful way for budding wordsmiths to get some experience when it comes to their writing. The website building for kids software gives them a platform through which they can express their unique points of view, tell compelling stories, or even share their sentiments about the world around them.
The only downside we see, however, in this website maker for kids is that you can only use it for free for a twelve-day trial period. However, given the minimal cost of a basic subscription, opting for one for your junior creative will certainly be money well spent.
- Drag and drop site builder with easy to handle blogging feature;
- Over 100 design templates;
- Built-in site customisation modules; and
- Mobile application for editing or site management on the fly
- Grid-based site builder orients children with the fundamentals of web design;
- Blogging is a fun and easy to learn experience;
- Offers an extensive range of templates to suit any kid’s style
- This drag and drop website builder for kids can be difficult to manipulate, especially for younger users
- No free version;
- Can be challenging for first-time and younger users
This website building for kids software only offers a twelve-day free trial. However, parents will need to consider getting a paid subscription if they feel the platform works for their kids. In which case, the monthly subscription costs start at $12.
Not to get too generational about it, but Zyro is definitely a Gen z sort of website building for kids service.
The snap-to-grid nature of the platform means younger users can easily drag, drop, and place elements anywhere in the layout to create truly unique websites that reflect their distinctive personalities.
Likewise, the AI-driven creative aspect of the platform enables children to explore the very limits of their imagination, as they can create virtually everything from multimedia showcases to blogs that let them speak their young minds.
- Drag and drop website building for kids software;
- Extensive image gallery; and
- AI Writer for various creative endeavours
- Optimises the use of AI for absolute ease when it comes to site creation;
- One of the easiest drag and drop website builders to use;
- Offers one of the most extensive image galleries online
- Customisation options are still quite limited;
- Unreliable technical support;
- No free trial
Monthly costs range between $1.30 and $13.99, with a money-back guarantee
Site creation is, literally, as easy as 123 for this particular platform. While it doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as competitors Wix and Squarespace, Site123 is an easy-peasy to use platform enables younger creators to simply pick, point, click, and mix dynamic elements in order to create their sites.
- Point and click website builder for kids;
- Social media integration for sharing pages to Facebook and Instagram;
- Excellent selection of templates; and
- Multimedia gallery feature that offers an array of display options including slideshows and carousel view
- Predefined site creation parameters allow for the ultimate ease of use;
- One of the few site builders to offer a free-to-use edition;
- Platform is one of the easiest ones for younger users
- Free edition is riddled with pop-ups that tend to distract site creators from their work;
- Layout templates come off as very basic and may not exactly appeal to more style-savvy older children
- Free website builder for kids, with limited functionality available;
When it comes to conventional site building, Wix has long been the gold standard for many people, either as individual site owners or site management teams for corporations and online retailers.
Where children are concerned, Wix kids website creator is essentially a virtual playground that allows them to maximise their creativity through a variety of nifty templates and a drag and drop builder that is simple enough to use right out of the gate.
Also, parents and kids alike are singing their praises of the website maker for kids' artificial intelligence-driven building tool. Wix ADI is actually the easiest – and most engaging – way by which kids can create a unique site in mere minutes.
- WIX Artificial Design Intelligence (WIX ADI) kids website creator;
- Conventional drag-and-drop builder;
- Extensive range of child-friendly templates; and
- Wix Gallery feature to let children share photos, videos, and even audio files with others
- One of the easiest site builders to learn and use;
- Offers maximum creative flexibility;
- Has a free to use edition that will give kids hours of creative pursuit
- Templates for the free version are quite limited;
- Storage is also limited in the free edition, as it only allows 500MB per user;
- Sites made with the free edition will be riddled with in-house advertising
This kids website creator offers a free to use edition with limited functionality. But for parents who want to have an additional user to monitor their kids’ activities may consider premium packages, as monthly rates range from $4.50.
If Wix is the gold standard when it comes to ease of use, DoodleKit takes it up a notch by serving as a safe creative space that both parents and children can appreciate.
Aside from its standard site builder for individuals and small businesses, DoodleKit is the only site creation platform that offers a builder that was specifically designed for children.
Likewise, it is the only platform which enables parents to monitor theirs kids’ activities and keep them safe from potential online threats and cyberbullying.
- 100 per cent child-friendly site builder;
- Parental monitoring controls;
- Mobile-ready design templates
- Enables parents to keep tabs on their children’s online activities;
- Is very easy to use when it comes to site building and content creation;
- Excellent for teaching children the basics of web design
- Templates for this website building for kids software are somewhat outdated;
- Storage space limited to just 100MB;
- Interface can be quite clunky – not appealing for older children
- Free website maker for kids; there's a free to use version available.
Conclusion and Recommendations:
In our review of the best website builders for kids, we have noted that they need to be easy to learn and fun to use in order for children to appreciate them and use them on a regular basis.
In which case, Wix and Zyro website building for kids software stand out for their use of artificial intelligence. They make the content creation process a fun – and even magical – experience for younger users.
For slightly older children – tweens and younger teens – we would recommend Squarespace as this particular platform offers a more extensive range of options for self-expression. (And it can also serve as a learning platform for youngsters considering online retail for crafted products.)
Then DoodleKit is the one we would recommend for parents with concerns regarding their children’s online safety. While this website building for kids option does come off as very basic, we appreciate how it has parental controls so that parents or guardians will be able to monitor their child’s interactions online and limit access to their children’s content to their peers and to more trustworthy web users.
In any case, we would also recommend that parents and teachers also shop around for other possible website maker for kids options their children can use.
Is there a website builder for kids that can actually teach my child how to create their own website?
For the most basic in terms of site creation, the artificial intelligence-driven modules available in both Wix and Zyro would be able to show kids an easy way to actually build a website in mere minutes. However, Wix’s more conventional drag and drop builder is a great way to show kids the ropes involved in creating and managing a website.
My child is highly creative; which website maker for kids would be a good fit?
Squarespace takes the cake where creative kids are concerned. While not the easiest website building for kids software they can learn how to use - indeed, it’s a platform we recommend for older children - it serves as a great platform for self-expression through blogging. Likewise, its ecommerce features are a great way for budding entrepreneurs to learn the ropes about starting and managing an online business where they can sell hand-crafted items.
Which website maker for kids is strongest in terms of parental control?
That would have to be DoodleKit. This platform’s management suite includes a number of tools that parents and guardians can use to monitor a child’s online activity, their interactions, and potential threats lurking around the site.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this best website maker for kids, we are thankful. We hope you can now answer the question of what is the best website builder for kids option for you! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of eCommerce solutions, web hosting providers, website builders, and more! Feel free to check them out;
- Wix vs Squarespace
- Weebly Review
- Magento vs Shopify – Who Wins in 2022?
- WordPress vs Squarespace vs Wix
- Ultimate Wix Weebly Squarespace WordPress Comparison 2022
Not only the best tea/coffee maker on the team Sophie is our Chief Editor. Skilled across multiple marketing skill areas Sophie is our all rounder and a great asset to the team. Sophie is a website building trainer and tech writer who takes pride in helping small businesses and startups build their websites and launch their eCommerce platforms. Sophie is also the practical joker of the team and always wears a smile on her face. In her spare time she likes to spend her time with family. She loves going on holidays and spending time with friends.