Do you want to skip the read and get right to my top picks? The best website builder musicians go for is Squarespace.
The live performance scene was one of the industries hit hardest by the social distancing and contact avoidance protocols imposed throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and this led to diminished income for musicians throughout the world.
But, as with anything, where there’s a will, there’s a way. Many musicians have resorted to selling their recordings online through their websites, and even offer intimate online performances through any number of social media channels and streaming platforms. The challenge, however, lies in the technology a musician can use to create a particularly compelling website to draw in their core audience.
In today’s feature, we present our choices for the best website builder for musicians (which can easily be construed also as the best website builders for bands) and show how each of these stacks up in terms of helping create stunning sites that will let visitors rock on (or chill out) with their favourite musicians.
What's the Point of Choosing the Best Website Builder for Musicians?
A music artist website builder or website builder for bands is necessary as many areas have yet to allow venues like concert halls and bars offering live entertainment to reopen. Likewise, thanks to the emergence of streaming audio sites, a music artist website builder enables musicians to direct their fans to viable – and legal – platforms where they can play and save their tunes.
A good music artist website builder gives bands or solo artists the option to add an ecommerce section to their sites. In doing so, musicians can cut out the middleman (after all, platforms do get a share per download) and retain profits from the direct sale of their music to site visitors, as well as promotional merchandise.
Our List of the Best Website Builders for Musicians:
Our top five choices for the best website builders for musicians are as follows:
- Squarespace – best optics and eCommerce functionality
- Webflow – block website builder musicians need + scalability
- Weebly – beginner-friendly website builder musicians can use
- WordPress.com– highly flexible website builder for bands
- Wix – good general website builder for bands and musicians
How We Chose the Best Website Builder for Musicians:
Our five top website builders for musicians were selected based on the following criteria:
- Ease of Use – A website builder musicians, even the non-tech-savvy ones, can use; Musicians are creatives, so not all of them want to delve into the nitty-gritty of having to code the backend of a website. The best website builder for musicians gives them more time for creating, whether it be composing, recording, or performing. That said, a music artist website builder needs to allow users to create in the shortest amount of time possible;
- Functionality – Especially if there’s an ecommerce element involved, a website builder musicians need should let you add functional widgets to facilitate site navigation. Indeed, enhancing customer experience is a plus in a music artist website builder. We’d also like to point out that the best website builder for musicians includes the ability to play snippets or actually stream recordings through one’s website;
- Connectivity – By this, we’re talking about a music artist website builder that offers connectivity with the more popular social media platforms, particularly those that allow live broadcasts like Facebook and Instagram. The best website builder for musicians should offer a great way for music artists and producers to actively engage with their followers, putting a human face – so to speak – on a performing entity; and
- Monetisation and Ecommerce – Musicians and music producers operate in what is essentially a gig economy. Therefore, the best website builder for musicians needs to have extensive ecommerce features, including the ability to give potential clients the ability to book and schedule gigs on or offline.
Our Best Website Builders for Musicians in Detail:
Now, let's get to know website builder musicians can really maximise to their advantage in detail.
We’ve said it numerous times before, Squarespace is the website builder musicians running on the gig economy can turn to. This alone makes it one of the best site builders for musicians. The beauty of Squarespace lies in its ecommerce features which include a scheduling and calendar function that shows the availability of a performing artist or a music producer.
However, do keep in mind that Squarespace isn’t one of the most tractable website builder for bands to use. For instance, you may have problems setting it up if you haven’t at all that much experience in terms of website creation. Nevertheless, it has enough going for it to be the best website builder for musicians.
- Audio Collection feature that enables users to directly upload audio and video files in various formats;
- Ecommerce functionality for the sale of artist-specific merchandise;
- Scheduling and appointment function for gigs;
- Contact forms and mailing lists for fan clubs; and
- Excellent social media integration in this website builder for bands.
Standard rates and pricing packages of this website builder musicians' pick are:
Read through their terms of service before you commit.
Much like Squarespace, Webflow isn’t really the easiest of site builders to use – but, we consider it the best website builder for musicians for several reasons.
If musicians or producers have cut their teeth building sites using WordPress, the creation process becomes somewhat easier as Webflow is built along similar lines to the CMS-centric platform.
Webflow’s builder is block / box-oriented, so it makes creating specific sections of content easier, but it doesn’t help very much on an aesthetic level. Nevertheless, what works in favour of this music artist website builder is the ability to upload and stream music directly from one’s site – and, for musicians, that’s what really matters.
Learn more about this website builder for bands with our detailed Webflow review.
- Over 100 design templates;
- Block-driven site builder;
- Extensive range of third-party applications, including several options for on-site streaming; and
- Scalable solutions for ecommerce and marketing
Standard rates and pricing packages are as follows:
Check out their service terms if you're interested in a subscription!
While not exactly the gold standard when it comes to site creation, Weebly is one of our choices for the best website builder for musicians. It works very well for those who need a fast-working and easy to use site builder, making it an excellent website builder for bands, especially those who are just starting out in their careers.
In terms of ecommerce, Weebly is a great website builder for bands as it offers numerous features for merchandising, media streaming, and marketing both on and offline.
- Intuitive drag-and-drop website builder musicians who aren't tech-savvy can enjoy using;
- SEO toolkit;
- Ecommerce toolkit;
- In-platform applications marketplace for third-party integrations;
- Cloud-based hosting; and
- Music and video hosting
Standard rates and pricing packages are as follows:
Interested in Weebly? Then better understand their service terms before you subscribe.
WordPress has been the gold standard of easy to learn and use site builders. It's considered the best free website builder for musicians since it takes so much of the stress of site creation and backend management out of the equation. As a result, musicians and music producers can spend more time doing what they do best: entertaining the world through great music.
- CMS site creator / editor;
- Integrated news and blogging function;
- WooCommerce plugin for creating online storefronts;
- Highly responsive templates like Moonlight and Sonaar that were specifically created for musicians;
- Music-specific plugins like Audio Album for direct uploading of media files and Event Espresso for gig schedules; and
- Easy integration with social media.
WordPress' standard rates and pricing packages are as follows:
Be sure to check out their service terms before you subscribe.
Did you know that one of the world’s favourite site builders is also a great music artist website builder?
Wix Music works in pretty much the same way as the standard Wix website builder. But this music artist website builder offers a number of specialised features geared towards performing artists. These include tour promotion, events ticketing, and direct sales for both recordings and merchandise.
We consider it not the best website builder for musicians but surely a worthy consideration. It offers tools for marketing their material online, including provisions for the creation of electronic press kits.
- Music industry-specific templates;
- Add an online music player via Wix App Market;
- One of the easiest drag-and-drop builders available;
- AI-driven site creator from this website builder musicians who are short on time can use hassle-free;
- Music industry-specific analytics;
- Built-in online marketing suite;
- Allows engagement with fans via social media; and
- This website builder musicians' pick offers commission-free music sales
Standard rates and pricing packages for this website builder musicians' pick are as follows:
Conclusion and Recommendations:
Today's recording artists and performers are spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing a music artist website builder, but there are those which appear to be better equipped than most, as in the case of Squarespace.
Keep in mind, though, that the best website builder for music artists may not be the same as the best website builder for music producers.
But if none of these options for a music artist website builder cranks your chain, music-specific website builders like Bandzoogle are worth a look. Nevertheless, we recommend that you keep an eye out for your own specs as to what makes the best website maker for musicians.
Do any of these website builder musicians allow artists to directly sell and/or stream their work without needing to go through a third-party host?
Wix Music already has the feature built in, while platforms like Squarespace and WordPress will have you download and install a third-party app or plugin to add the function to your site.
Is there a website builder for bands I can use for free?
Wix, Weebly, Webflow, and WordPress all have free-to-use (or freemium) subscription packages. Keep in mind, though, that in-platform ads will be placed on your site.
Which website builder for bands and musicians can help my fans follow my schedule?
Squarespace’s ecommerce toolkit has a feature that slaps on a calendar where fans and followers can monitor an artist’s schedule. WordPress, on the other hand, can offer the feature through the Event Espresso plugin.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this best website builder for musicians guide, we are thankful. We hope you can now answer the question of what is the best website builder for bands option for you! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of eCommerce solutions, web hosting providers, website builders, and more! Feel free to check them out;