⏳Do you want to skip the read and get right to my pick in this GreenGeeks vs Siteground comparison? The better web hosting provider for most people is Siteground.
Introduction to my GreenGeeks vs Siteground Comparison Test:
Sustainability seems to be the catchphrase of the day for many industries, but did you know it also applies to the hosting provider you choose for your site? But in this context, sustainability isn’t just about going green, but it also means getting more for your green [money] in terms of features and functionality.
Quick Comparison Table of GreenGeeks vs Siteground
|🥇 SiteGround (My Pick!)
|Type of Hosting
|Shared, WordPress, VPS, Reseller Hosting
|Shared, WordPress, WooCommerce, Cloud Hosting
|Standard performance, CDN available
|Standard performance, CDN included
|Pricing and Plans
|Starts at $2.49/month
|Starts at $6.99/month
|30-day money-back guarantee
|30-day money-back guarantee
|24/7 Live Chat, Phone, Email, Knowledgebase
|24/7 Live Chat, Phone, Ticketing, Knowledgebase
|Easy plan upgrades, Reseller options
|Easy plan upgrades, Cloud Hosting options
|Generally positive, praised for eco-friendliness
|Generally positive, praised for customer service
|300% Green Energy Commitment
|Match 100% of their energy usage with renewable energy
|Best for eco-conscious users looking for green hosting with unlimited features.
|Best for users looking for robust features and exceptional customer service.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Overview:
Founded in 2008, GreenGeeks claims to be the “world’s leading eco-friendly website hosting provider.” It’s a claim they’ve backed up quite well, too: the maximum use / no-waste hosting platform matches any electricity it takes from conventional power grids with thrice the amount pulled from the Bonneville Environmental Foundation.
Founded in 2004, Siteground’s services revolve around the promise of easy website management, which is probably why it’s the trusted provider of more than two million sites worldwide. Admittedly, it’s a brand promise that delivers, as Siteground’s UI is considered one of the easiest to learn and use.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Ease of Use:
Which between Siteground vs GreenGeeks is the easier web hosting service to use?
The UI is presented in a classic cPanel configuration – essentially putting everything within the user’s view and it is very easy to orient yourself with the menus. Our only complaint, though, is that it looks like an artefact from the early 2000s.
Siteground’s proprietary dashboard for site management is the clincher here. It’s easy enough for even beginners to use, and also lets customers have several sub-accounts for the efficient management of individual websites.
Winner – Draw! This ‘Ease of Use' phase of the GreenGeeks vs Siteground battle is a draw.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Features:
After tackling ease of use, let's go to features in this Siteground vs GreenGeeks comparison.
Types of Hosting:
- SiteGround’s shared hosting plans are designed with performance and security in mind.
- They offer free daily backups, free SSL, email, CDN, and managed WordPress and WooCommerce.
VPS and Dedicated Hosting:
- SiteGround does not offer traditional VPS, but they do offer Cloud hosting which functions similarly to VPS with scalable resources and more control.
- They do not have dedicated servers, but their higher-tier cloud plans can serve similar purposes with more flexibility.
- SiteGround excels in WordPress hosting with features like automatic updates, WP-CLI, and staging tools.
- WooCommerce hosting is integrated into their WordPress hosting plans.
- They also offer Reseller hosting plans for web designers and developers.
- GreenGeeks’ shared hosting is environmentally friendly as it’s 300% powered by renewable energy.
- Features include a free domain name for the first year, free nightly backups, unlimited web space, and data transfer.
VPS and Dedicated Hosting:
- GreenGeeks offers VPS hosting with managed security and round-the-clock monitoring.
- Though GreenGeeks does not offer conventional dedicated servers, their array of VPS plans can cater to most needs that dedicated servers are used for.
- GreenGeeks provides managed WordPress hosting that’s optimized for performance with automatic updates, daily backups, and advanced security.
- They also offer WooCommerce hosting with a one-click installer for quick setup.
Subscribers can get a single domain name with their subscription. Unlike other providers, though, GreenGeeks’ domain names are only free for the first year; you’ll need to pay $13.95 for every succeeding year.
Depending on the subscription signed up for, users can have just one domain in your account or unlimited domains under a single account. Siteground also has its own domain registry service and users can opt for regular, country-specific, and special domains for as low as $17.99 annually.
The platform offers an unlimited number of email addresses regardless of the subscription plan, and email storage is pretty much unlimited.
Siteground allows users to create an unlimited number of email addresses with their domains.
Again, regardless of whichever subscription plan you signed up for, you’re allowed to create an unlimited number of databases.
Siteground allows users to have an unlimited number of databases with their standard subscription plans.
Thanks to a third-party enabler app called Softaculous, GreenGeeks can download and install numerous applications to work with like WordPress and Joomla, as well as ecommerce-specific platforms like Magento and PrestaShop.
Diversity isn’t an issue here, as Siteground easily interfaces with more than 500 third-party applications, including platforms like WordPress, Joomla, and osCommerce. Also, its R&D team is constantly discovering new ways to enhance functionality, particularly for ecommerce users.
Both platforms work well with WordPress.
Unless you’re using it with WordPress, GreenGeeks doesn’t offer site staging prior to deployment.
Siteground’s staging tool is only available for mid-tier and premium subscribers – and there are actually two tools. For the mid-tier, the tool is specifically meant to be used to stage WordPress sites before deployment. Meanwhile, the premium edition can stage sites for several other platforms, including Drupal and PrestaShop.
Unfortunately, GreenGeeks doesn’t have its own proprietary site builder and, instead, depends on sub-platforms like WordPress for site creation.
Siteground allows users to choose between Weebly and WordPress. Note, however, that the Weebly you get here is the platform at its most basic; in which case, you will have to pay extra for additional functionality.
If you want to set up an online shop, which between SiteGround vs GreenGeeks will help you better?
As we stated above, GreenGeeks’ system plays nicely with stand-alone ecommerce platforms as well as WordPress’ WooCommerce shop-builder plugin. An SSL certificate is already included across all subscription packages.
As well as for independent ecommerce platforms, Siteground serves as a stable hosting platform for WooCommerce sites. SSL certificates are also included with all subscriptions.
Winner – Siteground! We are giving this ‘Features' round of the GreenGeeks vs Siteground battle to Siteground.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Security:
Disruptions are a nightmare – which provider can give you more peace of mind – Siteground vs GreenGeeks?
- GreenGeeks includes free Let's Encrypt Wildcard SSL certificates with all hosting plans, ensuring secure data transfer between the server and users' browsers.
- GreenGeeks performs nightly backups and allows customers to request a restore from the last 24 hours for free.
- GreenGeeks features real-time security scanning, automatic app updates, and custom security rules to help protect websites from malware.
Additional Security Features:
- Secure vFS (Virtual File System) is used to provide security and isolation of accounts on shared servers.
- Proactive server monitoring to detect and deal with threats in real-time.
- Brute force and DDoS protection to safeguard websites from various online attacks.
- SiteGround offers free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates with all of its plans, ensuring encrypted communication between the server and client.
- SiteGround provides daily backups and keeps 30 backup copies of your website.
- SiteGround includes an AI anti-bot system that effectively blocks brute-force and other malicious attacks.
Additional Security Features:
- SiteGround uses a Web Application Firewall (WAF) that gets updated regularly to protect against the latest security threats.
- SiteGround’s SG Site Scanner, powered by Sucuri, scans your site and notifies you if your site is hacked or if there is any security issue (available for an additional cost).
Winner – Draw! Both GreenGeeks and SiteGround offer solid security features, including free SSL certificates and regular backups. SiteGround’s backup policy is slightly more flexible, as they keep 30 copies compared to GreenGeeks’ one. SiteGround also uses an AI anti-bot system and a regularly updated Web Application Firewall (WAF) for additional protection, but their SG Site Scanner is an additional cost. GreenGeeks offers real-time security scanning and proactive server monitoring as part of their package. Depending on your specific needs, either could be a suitable option for security.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Performance:
Which of the two platforms – Siteground vs GreenGeeks has better performance?
Performance Summary Table for Siteground vs GreenGeeks
|Speed (Load Time)
|Server Response Time (US, East Coast)
|Server Response Time (Europe, London)
|Server Response Time (Asia, Singapore)
|Unmetered (starts from 10,000 visits/month)
|10GB to 40GB depending on the plan
|Scalable with plan upgrades
|Scalable with plan upgrades
Servers are located in the US, Canada, and Europe; users may opt for a server closest to their geographical location for immediate service.
Siteground servers are in the US, UK, The Netherlands, and Singapore.
GreenGeeks sites load at a respectable 2.32 seconds.
Sites hosted via Siteground load in as fast as 2.67 seconds. The platform also works with Cloudflare CDN to help speed up loading time.
Average Uptime, Bandwidth, and Webspace limits/Storage:
Average uptime is at 99.98%, and both bandwidth and data storage is unlimited.
Sites on this platform are up 99.99% of the time.
Bandwidth is unlimited, but storage size ranges between 10 and 40GB for managed hosting plans.
Winner – GreenGeeks! We’re giving the performance round to GreenGeeks in this Siteground vs GreenGeeks showdown.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Support and Resources:
We all need support every now and then when it comes to hosting. So which is better at giving you that between Siteground vs GreenGeeks?
Multi-channel technical support is available. Note, however, that while online options run 24/7, phone support is only available from 9 AM to 12 AM EST. Be sure to check out the tutorials they run on their knowledge base.
Siteground users can avail of 24/7 multichannel tech support via phone, email, and livechat and response time is quite fast.
The platform also offers online how-to guides and tutorials on using WordPress, setting up an online store, and even a marketing guide to help drive traffic to an online store. You can also get updates on fresh developments through its Geek 2 English podcasts.
Winner – Siteground! The support round of this GreenGeeks vs Siteground goes to Siteground.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Pricing:
A hosting service should be worth every penny you invest. Is SiteGround vs GreenGeeks the wiser option?
Quick Comparison Table for SiteGround vs GreenGeeks Pricing Plans and Transparency:
|Starts from $2.95/month
|Starts from $5.95/month
|Starts from $10.95/month
|Starts from $4.99/month
|Starts from $7.99/month
|Starts from $14.99/month
|Yes (1 year)
|Yes (1 year)
|Yes (1 year)
|Check GreenGeeks Pricing
|Check SiteGround Pricing
Let's do a a more detailed rundown of SiteGround vs GreenGeeks plans.
Their basic plans are a bit on the pricey side, as these run between $10.95 and $25.95 monthly.
VPS plans are, of course, more expensive, as they range from $39.95 to $109.95 a month.
Hosting your website using Siteground’s standard web, managed WordPress, and WooCommerce subscription plans will set you back by $5.99 to $12.99 monthly.
Their cloud hosting plans are certainly more expensive, but we recommend these for corporate sites or ecommerce hubs that are scaling up their operations. On average, the monthly cost for Siteground cloud hosting will set you back between $48 and $144 per month.
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Free trial, refund policy, and money-back guarantee:
You can try GreenGeeks risk-free for 30 days, then opt for a subscription at the end of the period. There is a 30-day money-back guarantee, and in the event your uptime drops, they give subscribers a sum equivalent to the amount of lag time.
Siteground doesn’t offer a free trial, but it does have a 30-day money-back guarantee that will allow you to collect a full refund if you cancel your subscription within the first month of service.
Winner – Siteground! If we want to keep it basic – and well within the budget – we are giving this round to Siteground in this Siteground vs GreenGeeks battle.
GreenGeeks vs SiteGround User Reviews
GreenGeeks is renowned for its commitment to environmental sustainability in addition to its reliable hosting services.
- GreenGeeks boasts a rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Customers commonly praise GreenGeeks for its responsive and knowledgeable customer support.
- The company's commitment to being eco-friendly is celebrated by many users.
- Some users have noted the reliability and performance of GreenGeeks' hosting services as commendable.
- On Reddit, GreenGeeks is often commended by users for its eco-friendly approach and the value it offers.
- Customers also appreciate the helpfulness and responsiveness of the support team.
SiteGround is highly regarded for its excellent performance and customer support.
- SiteGround has an impressive rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars on Trustpilot.
- Many users appreciate SiteGround for its excellent customer service, citing both the knowledgeability and responsiveness of its support team.
- The performance and reliability of SiteGround’s hosting services are also frequently praised.
- A few users have noted that they find the service to be somewhat pricey, especially when renewing.
- On Reddit, SiteGround is frequently recommended for its top-notch performance and customer support.
- Some users, however, have expressed concerns regarding the price, especially upon renewal.
Comparison Winner: GreenGeeks vs Siteground?
Based on our evaluation, Siteground vs GreenGeeks have more or less similar features and performance. However, Siteground excels slightly better. Therefore, we find SiteGround to be Comparison Winner in this Siteground vs GreenGeeks showdown.
Personal Experience with GreenGeeks and SiteGround
GreenGeeks offers a streamlined and efficient sign-up process. The interface is clean and it's easy to find the plan that suits your needs. They don’t bombard you with upsells, which is a plus.
SiteGround’s sign-up process is equally straightforward. The website is well-organized, and they provide ample information about each plan to help you make an informed choice.
Setting Up a Website
Setting up a website with GreenGeeks is quite simple, thanks to the intuitive cPanel interface. They also offer Softaculous for easy one-click installations of popular applications, including WordPress.
SiteGround has migrated from cPanel to its own custom Site Tools control panel. The transition is seamless and it's incredibly user-friendly, making website setup a breeze. The WordPress Starter tool helps newcomers to get started with a professional-looking site.
GreenGeeks promises and delivers high-performance hosting with a focus on speed and reliability. They offer SSD storage, free CDN, and utilize renewable energy, ensuring an eco-friendly approach to hosting.
SiteGround is renowned for its excellent performance, especially in terms of speed and reliability. With features like SuperCacher, free CDN, and high-performance SSD storage, it's one of the best in the market for performance.
GreenGeeks provides robust customer support with various channels, including live chat, phone, and tickets. Their support staff is responsive and well-versed in handling hosting-related queries.
SiteGround excels in customer support. Their support team is highly skilled and readily available through chat, phone, and tickets. The quality of support provided by SiteGround is among the best in the industry.
Conclusion and Recommendations To My GreenGeeks vs Siteground Comparison Test:
To wrap up our GreenGeeks vs Siteground side-by-side comparison;
What is GreenGeeks best for?
GreenGeeks is a strong contender in the hosting space, particularly for those looking for an environmentally responsible hosting option. With solid performance and commendable customer support, it’s an excellent option for small to medium-sized websites.
GreenGeeks is therefore a good choice for site owners who want to lessen their carbon footprint even online. Also, you can actually put one of their badges on your site to prove it.
What is Siteground best for?
SiteGround stands out for its superb performance, exceptional customer support, and user-friendly tools.
Siteground is recommended for those who want to build everything from basic websites to scalable ecommerce hubs. It's especially well-suited for WordPress users and those who prioritize speed and reliability.
While slightly pricier, the quality of service makes it worth the investment.
GreenGeeks and Siteground Alternatives:
GreenGeeks vs Siteground Final word:
We may have called a draw in our GreenGeeks vs Siteground review, but we recommend that you trial for a viable hosting service that is in sync with your specific needs.
How green exactly is GreenGeeks?
This environmentally-sustainable service gives back thrice the amount of energy they take off conventional grids, but try to use sustainable energy as much as possible.
What platforms can I use with Siteground?
You may use Siteground to host sites built with WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and osCommerce.
That’s all for now:
If you've read our GreenGeeks vs Siteground comparison review up to here, we are grateful. Remember always to keep abreast of the latest developments on website builders, eCommerce, and other articles, such as the ones below;
Please share any comments below!