BigCommerce: Best for medium to large stores$29.95
Ease of Use8.5/10
Features & Flexibility9.0/10
SEO & Mobility9.0/10
Help & Support8.5/10
- eCommerce features
- Numerous options available for product variants and categories
- Great apps integration and migration capability
- Strong SEO features
- Free trial offered
- Fewer free templates than its rivals
- Not as easy to use : has a slight learning curve
- Customer support not as robust as competitors
Introduction: Selling online with BigCommerce UK.
The BigCommerce website builder is an eCommerce solution that lets you create and run a hardworking online store. It is a leading eCommerce software as a service (SaaS) that ranks among the most popular of the bunch. Its all-in-one platform caters to companies of all sizes and has helped around 100,000 merchants establish their online stores. Operating in over 65 countries worldwide, BigCommerce UK has a substantial presence as well.
However, does the BigCommerce page builder measure up to expectations? My BigCommerce reviews will look at all the various aspects of this website builder. My objective is to point you in the right direction – so you can decide for yourself if it's a match for you.
Ease of use:
The BigCommerce page builder is geared for businesses of all sizes. Hence, it’s meant to cater to small start-ups and online store neophytes. However, it doesn't have a high usability score compared to Wix as a page builder. Therefore, if you know nothing about website building, you may have difficulty figuring out the dashboard when you sign up. Yet, it’s not a steep learning curve. But it does take a while to familiarise yourself with the platform. That said, it’s relatively easy once you get used to it, mainly due to the drag-and-drop functionality. You don’t need to know how to code to manoeuvre the BigCommerce website builder.
Features and Flexibility:
BigCommerce website builder is an all-in-one platform with advanced features. This partially explains why it’s not the easiest to figure out among similar page builders. However, it’s not too challenging to get around, either. The lowest plan offers many features and functionalities you would only find in other website builders’ upper-level plans and is pretty affordable at $29.95 per month. You might find yourself eventually upgrading to the higher plans when you note how much better the functionalities are at those levels, giving you and your business a complete eCommerce experience. You may also upgrade when your business expands, as each BigCommerce page builder plan limits your annual sales.
Themes and Templates:
For my BigCommerce reviews, the BigCommerce page builder has 12 free themes for you to choose from. While limited in number, each is beautiful, elegant, and eye-catching. Its themes are designed for the optimal online buying experience. However, you should be aware that some themes look like each other and are only distinguishable by colour or font face, so you actually don’t have many choices. Of course, you can always opt for the paid themes if the free themes don't work for you. All of the themes are already mobile-responsive, so they'll look stunning on your mobile phone or tablet.
For my BigCommerce reviews, extensive customisation is not found on this platform; you will have to open the CSS to change the codes.
3rd Party Integrations:
BigCommerce page builder integrates with many 3rd party apps for accessible payment gateways, such as PayPal, and effective email marketing via MailChimp, Constant Contact, and iContact. You can also integrate with Facebook, Instagram, Amazon, and eBay for multi-channel eCommerce.
Your BigCommerce UK website is fully hosted, which means you don’t need to find separate hosting.
Unfortunately, BigCommerce doesn’t have an automatic backup function built into its UI. Instead, it recommends third-party app Rewind to enable users to back their data up. Other options are available via its app market.
If you have an existing online store on another platform, you can migrate the data, including products, options, and customers, to BigCommerce website builder using their Catalog Transfer App for free.
Everything you need to build your online shop is in the BigCommerce page builder's dashboard, making it easy to create and build your store, keep track of orders and sales, and manage your inventory. The highlight of my BigCommerce reviews is the numerous options available for product variants and categories: you can have up to 600 versions of each product and create up to 250 options for each. BigCommerce can also accept multiple currencies that are automatically converted.
SEO and Mobility:
BigCommerce UK has decent SEO features. You can program your page titles, metadata and header tags to boost your search engine rankings.
Moreover, BigCommerce UK pages are mobile-optimised; they'll look great on any mobile device!
You can optimise page speed of your BigCommerce site by optimising images, reducing use of dynamic displays, and installing Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP).
Support and Resources:
BigCommerce page builder has a reliable support system via live chat, email, and phone. They also have a substantial knowledge base to guide you through the building of your online shop. However, it's not as robust as BigCommerce competitors.
BigCommerce UK pricing plans:
BigCommerce has four pricing plans in total. The first three plans are suitable for small and medium-sized businesses, though only the Plus and Pro plans yield up to a 10% discount if you pay annually.
- Starting with the BigCommerce Standard plan,
- followed by the BigCommerce Plus plan,
- and the BigCommerce Pro plan.
- The final plan, BigCommerce Enterprise, is for bigger companies with higher sales and complicated sales requirements. BigCommerce UK Enterprise pricing depends on the needs of your business.
Does any of these BigCommerce UK pricing plan packages catch your eye? If you're not quite there yet, I recommend reviewing other eCommerce platforms to have a full appreciation of your options.
Free trial/refund policy/money-back guarantee:
My BigCommerce Reviews Conclusion and Recommendation:
Finally, to wrap up my BigCommerce reviews –
What is it best for?
BigCommerce is best for non-tech business newbies who have many products to sell and need a robust system that allows their customers to choose between different versions of one product. It is also best for proprietors of growing businesses and medium and large-sized online sellers.
What is it not best for?
BigCommerce is not best for startup businesses with an inventory of too few products.
Here's a list of the best BigCommerce alternatives to create a an online store:
|Rank||eCommerce Website Builders||Our View|
|1||Shopify (and Shopify Plus)||Best All-In-One eCommerce solution|
|2||Squarespace||Best for Design & Creatives|
|3||Webflow||Best for advanced design tools|
|4||Square Online||Best for Value|
|5||BigCommerce||Best for medium to large stores|
|6||WooCommerce (with Nexcess)||Best eCommerce for Wordpress Users|
|7||Wix||Good for general use|
|8||Big Cartel||Best for very simple sites|
|9||Ecwid||Best eCommerce for existing websites|
|10||Volusion||Best for advanced analytics|
- Shopify vs BigCommerce. Shopify is a top contender for BigCommerce UK online stores; they have similar functionalities and are robust and dependable. Shopify has more design templates for its storefronts, but BigCommerce website builder lets you put an unlimited number of products for sale across all plans.
- BigCommerce vs Squarespace. Squarespace has 110 design templates to choose from but is essentially a website builder that later developed into an online store builder. BigCommerce’s templates are more intuitive for the buyer’s ease of use.
- BigCommerce vs WooCommerce. BigCommerce is its own site builder, while WooCommerce is a plug-in for WordPress. So BigCommerce has all you need to create an online store while you will still need to integrate with WordPress and/or get external hosting to use WooCommerce. If you’re already familiar with WordPress, WooCommerce will be a breeze to set up and convenient to use.
- Wix vs BigCommerce. While Wix has several more design templates than BigCommerce website builder, the latter has more eCommerce functionalities that ensure your sales process goes smoothly.
- BigCommerce vs Magento. While BigCommerce is a SaaS, Magento is an open-source platform as service. Magento takes longer to set up than BigCommerce because you will have to set up security on your own and find your own hosting and web designer.
BigCommerce Website Builder Final Word:
In conclusion, as an all-in-one eCommerce platform, BigCommerce website builder covers a lot of the ground needed to run and maintain a hardworking online store. But the best way to find out if it's right for you is to give it a whirl.
Can we move my online store to BigCommerce without uploading each product one by one? I have too many products.
You can migrate your products, product options, and customer information to BigCommerce using the Catalog Transfer App. None of your products will get lost in this process.
Is migration to a BigCommerce site easy?
Yes. You can migrate from Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, Volusion, among others. Ensure that your store is online and your product catalogue does not exceed 10,000 SKUs.
That’s all for now:
Thanks for reading my BigCommerce reviews. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for our ever-growing blog of review and comparison articles of eCommerce platforms, SEO software, screen capture tools, webinar and conferencing software, education platforms, website builders, and more such as;
- Shopify vs BigCommerce
- Wix vs BigCommerce
- BigCommerce vs Squarespace
- Shopify vs BigCommerce vs Magento
- BigCommerce vs Magento 2