Do you want to skip the read and get right to my top picks? The best website builders for authors for most people is Squarespace.
Introduction to our Best Website Builders for Authors.
Nowadays, author sites are everywhere. However, many of them don’t pass aesthetic or functional muster. So if you’re an author with a great story to tell and possibly sell, you don’t want an amateurish website. This is why you should make finding the best website builders for authors a priority.
Don’t get me wrong. When it comes to websites, there’s more to it than outward appearance. It also has to sport excellent features to help you spread your truth and thoughts. For example, what blog or newsletter capabilities does it have? Can it integrate with retailers like Amazon? Also, will the author website builder help you monetise your books or knowledge products?
I’ve run into and tested some of the world’s most promising website builders – and I’m here to show you how to choose the best website builders for authors like you.
Our Handpicked Best Website Builders for Authors List:
Like I said earlier, my team and I have tested plenty of website builders for writers/authors. We made a shortlist of the five best website builders for authors based on specific criteria. Here they are:
Squarespace – overall best website builders for authors (Editors Choice!)
Zyro – best value website builders for writers
Webflow – best website builders for writers with advanced design tools
Weebly – best author website builder for ease of use
WordPress.com – best blogging website builder for authors
Carrd – best for single page author website builders
Site123 – best author website builder for simple projects
Wix – good general use website builder for authors
Before we dig deep into the ins and outs of these website builder for authors, you are probably wondering how we chose our top platforms.
Why Do You Need An Author Website Builder?
Owning an author website takes you two steps closer to your first bestseller. Therefore, you can’t rely solely on social media to sell books – you need an email list, too.
Why? Six out of 10 people say they bought a book after reading an email. However, only 2 out of 10 after reading about it on social media.
Indeed, your author website should have an email address opt-in form to make this happen. Most importantly, you own and control your website. Social media accounts don’t belong to you, and you are bound by their rules.
To achieve publishing success, choosing the right website builder for authors is a crucial first step.
How to Choose A Website Builders for Authors?
We evaluated each eligible author website builder carefully based on specific criteria to determine the best website builders for authors.
- Ease of Use – Can a beginner use it? Is the interface of the website builders for writers/authors intuitive? If there is a learning curve, how steep is it?
- Features and Flexibility – We evaluate blog capability, email, and apps integration with book retailers for author website builders. Also, we ask: is there a specific website template or website design for authors?
- SEO and Mobility – What SEO tools are within your reach to help you pull rank?
- eCommerce Tools – Does the author website builder help you monetise your books or knowledge products?
- Support and Resources – The best website builders for writers/authors must come with competent customer support and technical assistance.
- Pricing – What's the value for money like with the website builders for writers? Is there a free trial offered by the author website builder?
Our Handpicked Author Website Builders Up Close:
Based on the criteria presented above, here are our tried and tested picks for the best website builders for authors in detail.
1. Squarespace – (Editors Choice!)
First on the list of our best website builders for writers and authors is Squarespace.
Squarespace is famed for its incredible-looking and elegant templates. For writers who want their style and voice visually expressed on their website, this platform has the wares for that.
Aside from its stunning templates and excellent editing capabilities, Squarespace tops our list of website builder for authors for blogging features that are designed specifically for authors and writers. I have to say that among the author website builders I’ve tried, Squarespace is the best blogging platform in my book.
With a Squarespace blog, you can:
- Sort your posts based on tags or categories so readers can follow
- Set privacy settings, such as enable/disable reader comments for your posts
- Made to load fast on mobile through accelerated mobile pages (AMP) so it's SEO-friendly
- Push your content to social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
What's also great about Squarespace website builder for authors is that it features Zapier integration. This lets you interface with more than a thousand apps. It also allows you to link to third-party book retailers like Amazon. However, this feature is limited as of now to US Squarespace sites.
In addition, you also get full eCommerce functionality under the eCommerce and Business plans, so you can monetise your website and sell your e-books and other knowledge products online.
- Fantastic user interface
- Stunning templates that make your website look its absolute best
- Easy to set up and excellent blogging feature for writers and authors
- Excellent eCommerce functionality so you can set up online selling
- Relatively more expensive than its competitor website builder for authors
- Some features are limited to US Squarespace sites
- No free plan offered, but a two-week free trial is available
From their Terms of Service page, Squarespace trial comes in 14 days of free testing.
Zyro was specifically created with beginners in mind, so it’s actually one of the easiest platforms that writers can check out. What makes Zyro particularly appealing for the writing crowd is that it does not require coding or computations (both of which are a bane for serious authors) of any sort.
The platform’s blogging function is already built in and ready to use from the get-go, so all you need to do is pour your heart out into your words and start a story. Adding graphics and multimedia embeds into your posts are also easy as you can just add them to the post through the handy dashboard.
Also, if you’re stumped for material or suffering from a case of writer’s block, Zyro offers an AI-driven writing prompt system to help you get started when your muse refuses to cooperate. Here are some of its features:
- Drag and drop website builder so it's practically easy to use;
- Customisation toolkit;
- AI Writer for creating placeholder pages; and
- Ecommerce toolkit so you can set up an online store
- Optimises the use of AI for absolute ease when it comes to site creation;
- One of the easiest drag and drop website builders to use;
- Highly professional ecommerce tools give online entrepreneurs a competitive advantage, which makes it one of the best website builders for authors option
- Customisation options are still quite limited;
- Unreliable technical support;
- Custom Domain management can get unnecessarily complicated
From Zyro's terms of service page, Zyro comes with a 30-day refund policy.
Now let's discuss the next website builder for authors: Webflow.
CMS-driven Webflow is like a more advanced edition of WordPress – and it does work the same way. As one of our featured best website builders for authors, it also offers many functions and features.
In this case, Webflow is the best website builders for authors option. This is because you can start typing in your masterpiece almost as soon as you get your account set up.
Likewise, it has built-in ecommerce features. These make it possible for users to market their content. They can even promote it through their social media channels – a must for any author seeking an audience.
What we also love about Webflow is that it has over a hundred design templates. This gives advantage for those who want a visually striking site with which to show off their work.
Essentially freeware, it is surprisingly rich in features and is a great help for authors who want to present a site with panache for little to zero cash. Check out some of the features of this best website builders for authors option:
- Over 100 design templates so you can individualize your websie;
- Block-driven site builder so it's convenient;
- Extensive range of third-party applications so you can add functions to your site;
- Parallax scrolling;
- Advanced SEO toolkit so you can pull more rank in SERPs;
- Automatic backups even for free edition so you have peace of mind;
- Portfolio building tools; and
- Scalable solutions for ecommerce
- A great choice for those who want to build a custom site but have no coding knowledge;
- Extensive range of design templates;
- Built-in capabilities for ecommerce and content management
- Steep learning curve with this website builders for writers;
- Limited functionality in the free edition;
- Does not offer live technical support so help may be subpar
If you're interested in Webflow and want to avail of their free plan, be sure to read their service terms to know more.
Moving on with our list of the best website builders of authors – we have Weebly!
Among the many author website builders I've used, Weebly is the simplest of them all. This is why we've selected Weebly as the best website builders for authors for complete beginners. While author websites made with this platform may not be a looker like Squarespace, it still produces great results.
Weebly has a modest selection of around 60+ templates that are easy to customise. I love this website builder for authors. Unlike Wix or Site123, which are limited by template rigidity, you can change templates anytime with Weebly.
Also, here are essential features of this website builder for authors:
- Has a blog posts feature so it keeps your audience engage
- You can download documents through Scribd
- Comes with social media buttons so its easy
- Enables contact forms to build your visitor list
- Feedback collection through custom surveys to inform your marketing strategies
- Super easy to use and therefore beginner-friendly
- Allows template flexibility so it's not rigid
- Free plan available
- Useful features for authors and writers
- Templates database not as extensive as rival best website builders for authors
- Customisation is limited
- Full support available only on higher subscription tiers
You can actually stick to the free website builder without an expiry date. Afterwards, you can upgrade to a paid plan. Moreover, their terms of service page states a 30-day money back guarantee is applicable to all paid subscriptions.
WordPress is one of those author website builders that need no introduction. Building your website on its legacy as a pioneer of content management systems (CMS), WordPress.com offers excellent blogging features for the budding author or writer. In addition, this best website builder for authors offers at least 15 writer-centric themes from its database of 100+ free and premium themes.
What I like so much about author website WordPress is that it offers so much functionality. Its free plan allows you to:
- Feature on your site books you have on display on Goodreads
- Insert a Google Translate button so you get multilingual functionality
- Get SEO tools on the ready so you can optimise your site
- Insert a milestone such as a book launch or reading
- Hassle-free import so your blogs can migrate to platforms like Medium, Blogger, or Tumblr.
- Free plan for this best website builders for authors option offers great functionality for authors
- Writer-centric themes and templates available so it's ideal for authors
- Extensive plugins integration so you get more functionality
- Has features specific to authors or writers
- Not that intuitive to use for absolute beginners so it can require a learning surve
- Customisation may be difficult so it could require more work to learn
- No monthly payment options
A 14-day money-back guarantee applies to all paid subscriptions as per their Terms of Service page.
Much like their peers in the graphic design field, word-based creatives like authors, concept creators, scriptwriters, and copywriters need to step up with the times and show off their shingles in the digital world.
Carrd is the best platform for doing this. Essentially a portfolio creation platform, it enables writers to present an online bibliography along with relevant links to prime samples of their work posted online. Indeed, it is so streamlined that it gives those interested a bit of a taster into the author without divulging too much.
It’s also a great way by which agents, editors, and publicists can reach out to them for projects and contract proposals. Here are some of the features that make it one of the best website builders for authors option:
- Users can create a website with three pages under the free plan;
- Online page builder;
- Online stock image gallery so you can choose easily;
- 100-element allowance per page which is generous;
- Social media widgets; and
- 56 free themes and templates
- One of the easiest free website builders to use;
- Users can create up to three single-page websites so it's great value for money;
- All sites created with the platform are optimised for mobile devices
- No provisions for blogging or ecommerce so you can't do online selling;
- Limited range of page elements available;
- Struggling authors may find themselves challenged to present a good portfolio because the free edition only allows for three pages per site
Next on our list of the best website builders for authors is Site123.
Site123 is another popular DIY website builder that's best known for its efficiency and ease of use. So if you're pressed for time and need to create your author website fast, this is the best website for authors like you. In addition, what's even better news about Site123 is that it has a completely free plan!
Aesthetically speaking, this website builder for writers it's not bad at all. With 180+ attractive templates to choose from, you can design a website you'll be proud of with Site123. It also boasts of features that authors and writers can maximise for their online presence:
- You can highlight readers' comments through testimonials blocks
- Has SEO tools so that readers can find you on the Web without difficulty
- Different blog styles to publish your stories, excerpts, or teasers
- Insert an Events page for your upcoming release or signings
- Timeline feature so you can have a visual display of your work
- Simple and easy to use; therefore, perfect for beginners
- Attractive templates and hassle-free editing so it's convenient
- Useful features for authors and writers
- Free plan available, therefore, ideal for testing the waters
- While it is one of the best website builders for authors, it is best for simple sites only
- The free plan comes with ads and features limitation
- You can't switch to another template once your site goes live so be sure about your choice
The terms of service page states you can cancel your service contract and receive a full refund within 14 days of your initial purchase.
Who doesn't know Wix? Why is it one of the best website builders for writers and authors?
Apart from its aggressive marketing strategy, Wix's popularity has soared because it delivers as a simple yet productive website builder. If you're an author, you can benefit from the platform's gigantic database of 800+ themes and templates, eCommerce functionality, and SEO tools. Take note that around 20 of these templates are made specifically for authors. The only major downside is that you can't unchoose your template once you select it.
To boost your author website, Wix website builder for writers allows you to integrate apps through the Wix App Market:
- Add your own blog so that you can show excerpts or short stories
- Integrate with Amazon so you can display your books for sale (only with a paid plan)
- Wix Forum app in order to engage customers
- Create buzz for your upcoming book release through the Wix Countdown Clock
- Simple and intuitive user interface so perfect for beginners
- Attractive and professional-looking templates for writers
- Comes with a free plan so it works for the budget-conscious
- Apps integrations to enhance your site's functionality
- Features limited on the free plan
- Customisation is limited so it's a bit restrictive
Conclusion and Recommendations to Website Builder for Authors:
Considering all the criteria used for this review, we conclude that Squarespace is the best website builder for authors.
Can I create an author website on my own?
Definitely! You can DIY your author website using any of our top picks. There are numerous templates available and author website examples that will make website creation a breeze.
I'm a complete newbie. Which website builder do you recommend?
If you have no background on website creation at all, we recommend Site123 or Weebly.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this best website builders for writers guide, we are thankful. We hope you can now answer the question for what is the best website builders for writers/authors! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of eCommerce solutions, web hosting providers, website builders, and more!
Feel free to check them out;