Do you want to skip the read and get right to my top picks? The best website builders for authors for most people is Squarespace.
Introduction to our Best Website Builders for Authors.
Nowadays, author websites are everywhere. Unfortunately, many of them don’t pass aesthetic or functional muster. If you’re an author with a great story to tell and possibly sell, you don’t want an amateurish website. This is why you should make finding the best website builders for authors a priority.
Don’t get me wrong. When it comes to websites, there’s more to it than outward appearance. It also has to sport excellent features to help you spread your truth and thoughts. For example, what blog or newsletter capabilities does it have? Can it integrate with retailers like Amazon? Also, will the author website builder help you monetise your books or knowledge products?
I’ve run into and tested some of the world’s most promising website builders – and I’m here to show you how to choose the best website builders for authors like you.
Why Do You Need An Author Website Builder?
Owning an author website takes you two steps closer to your first bestseller. You can’t rely solely on social media to sell books – you need an email list, too.
Why? Six out of 10 people say they bought a book after reading an email, with only 2 out of 10 after reading about it on social media. Your author website should have an email opt-in form to make this happen. Most importantly, you own and control your website. Social media accounts don’t belong to you, and you are bound by their rules.
To achieve publishing success, choosing the right website builder for authors is a crucial first step.
Our Handpicked Best Website Builders for Authors List:
Like I said earlier, my team and I have tested plenty of website builders for writers/authors. We made a shortlist of the five best website builders for authors based on specific criteria. Here they are:
Before we dig deep into the ins and outs of these website builder for authors, you are probably wondering how we chose our top 5 platforms.
How to Choose A Website Builders for Authors?
We evaluated each eligible author website builder carefully based on specific criteria to determine the best website builders for authors.
- Ease of Use – Can a beginner use it? Is the interface of the website builders for writers/authors intuitive? If there is a learning curve, how steep is it?
- Features and Flexibility – We evaluate blog capability, email, and apps integration with book retailers for author website builders. Also, we ask: is there a specific template or website design for authors?
- SEO and Mobility – What SEO tools are within your reach to help you pull rank?
- eCommerce Tools – Does the author website builder help you monetise your books or knowledge products?
- Support and Resources – The best website builders for writers/authors must come with competent customer support and technical assistance.
- Pricing – What's the value for money like with the website builders for writers? Is there a free trial offered by the author website builder?
Our Handpicked Author Website Builders Up Close:
Based on the criteria presented above, here are our tried and tested picks for the best website builders for authors in detail.
First on the list of our best website builders for writers and authors is Squarespace.
Squarespace is famed for its incredible-looking and elegant templates. For writers who want their style and voice visually expressed on their website, this platform has the wares for that.
Aside from its stunning templates and excellent editing capabilities, Squarespace tops our list of website builder for authors for blogging features that are designed specifically for authors and writers. I have to say that among the author website builders I’ve tried, Squarespace is the best blogging platform in my book.
With a Squarespace blog, you can:
- Sort your posts based on tags or categories
- Set privacy settings, such as enable/disable reader comments for your posts
- Made to load fast on mobile through accelerated mobile pages (AMP)
- Push your content to social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
What's also great about Squarespace website builder for authors is that it features Zapier integration to let you interface with more than a thousand apps. It also allows you to link to third-party book retailers like Amazon. However, this feature is limited as of now to US Squarespace sites. You also get full eCommerce functionality under the eCommerce and Business plans, so you can monetise your website and sell your e-books and other knowledge products online.
- Fantastic user interface
- Stunning templates that make your website look its absolute best
- Easy to set up and excellent blogging feature for writers and authors
- Excellent eCommerce functionality
- Relatively more expensive than its competitor website builder for authors
- Some features are limited to US Squarespace sites
- No free plan offered, but a two-week free trial is available
Next on our list of the best website builders for authors is Site123.
Site123 is another popular DIY website builder that's best known for its efficiency and ease of use. So if you're pressed for time and need to create your author website fast, this is the best website for authors like you. What's even better news about Site123 is that it has a completely free plan!
Aesthetically speaking, this website builder for writers it's not bad at all. With 180+ attractive templates to choose from, you can design a website you'll be proud of with Site123. It also boasts of features that authors and writers can maximise for their online presence:
- You can highlight readers' comments through testimonials blocks
- Has SEO tools so that readers can find you on the Web without difficulty
- Different blog styles to publish your stories, excerpts, or teasers
- Insert an Events page for your upcoming release or signings
- Timeline feature for a visual display of your work
- Simple and easy to use; perfect for beginners
- Attractive templates and hassle-free editing
- Useful features for authors and writers
- Free plan available
- Best for simple sites only
- The free plan comes with ads and features limitation
- You can't switch to another template once your site goes live
Among the many author website builders I've used, Weebly is the simplest of them all. This is why we've selected Weebly as the best website builders for authors for complete beginners. While author websites made with this platform may not be a looker like Squarespace, it still produces great results.
Weebly has a modest selection of around 60+ templates that are easy to customise. I love this website builder for authors because, unlike Wix or Site123, which are limited by template rigidity, you can change templates anytime with Weebly.
Also, here are essential features of this website builder for authors:
- Has a blogging feature
- You can download documents through Scribd
- Comes with social media buttons
- Enables contact forms to build your visitor list
- Feedback collection through custom surveys
- Super easy to use
- Allows template flexibility
- Free plan available
- Useful features for authors and writers
- Templates database not as extensive as rival best website builders for authors
- Customisation is limited
- Full support available only on higher subscription tiers
WordPress is one of those author website builders that need no introduction. Building on its legacy as a pioneer of content management systems (CMS), WordPress.com offers excellent blogging features for the budding author or writer. In addition, this best website builder for authors offers at least 15 writer-centric themes from its database of 100+ free and premium themes.
What I like so much about author website WordPress is that it offers so much functionality. Its free plan allows you to:
- Feature on your site books you have on display on Goodreads
- Insert a Google Translate button for multilingual functionality
- Get SEO tools on the ready
- Insert a milestone such as a book launch or reading
- Hassle-free import of your blog posts to other platforms like Medium, Blogger, or Tumblr.
- Free plan offers great functionality for authors
- Writer-centric themes and templates available
- Plugins integration is extensive
- Has features specific to authors or writers
- Not that intuitive to use for absolute beginners
- Customisation may be difficult
- No monthly payment options
Who doesn't know Wix? Why is it one of the best website builders for writers and authors?
Apart from its aggressive marketing strategy, Wix's popularity has soared because it delivers as a simple yet productive website builder. If you're an author, you can benefit from the platform's gigantic database of 800+ themes and templates, eCommerce functionality, and SEO tools. Take note that around 20 of these templates are made specifically for authors. The only major downside is that you can't unchoose your template once you select it.
To boost your author website, Wix website builder for writers allows you to integrate apps through the Wix App Market:
- Add your own blog to show excerpts or short stories
- Integrate with Amazon to display your books for sale (only with a paid plan)
- Wix Forum app for customer engagement
- Create buzz for your upcoming book release through the Wix Countdown Clock
- Simple and intuitive user interface
- Attractive and professional-looking templates for writers
- Comes with a free plan
- Apps integrations to enhance your site's functionality
- Features limited on the free plan
- Customisation is limited
Conclusion and Recommendations to Website Builder for Authors:
Considering all the criteria used for this review, we conclude that Squarespace is the best website builder for authors.
Following Squarespace in our curated list of website builders for writers is the highly efficient Site123, then Weebly – the best platform for beginners. Fourth on our list is the highly customisable WordPress, followed by the popular website builders for writers Wix.
Definitely! You can DIY your author website using any of our top picks. There are numerous templates available and author website examples that will make website creation a breeze.
I'm a complete newbie. Which website builder do you recommend?
If you have no background on website creation at all, we recommend Site123 or Weebly.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this best website builders for writers guide, we are thankful. We hope you can now answer the question for what is the best website builders for writers/authors! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of eCommerce solutions, web hosting providers, website builders, and more!
Feel free to check them out;
- Weebly vs Squarespace
- Site123 Review
- Medium Blog Site Review
- Weebly vs Wix vs WordPress
- Ultimate Wix Weebly Squarespace WordPress Comparison
Not only the best tea/coffee maker on the team Sophie is our Chief Editor. Skilled across multiple marketing skill areas Sophie is our all rounder and a great asset to the team. Sophie is a website building trainer and tech writer who takes pride in helping small businesses and startups build their websites and launch their eCommerce platforms. Sophie is also the practical joker of the team and always wears a smile on her face. In her spare time she likes to spend her time with family. She loves going on holidays and spending time with friends.