Do you want to skip the read and get right to my top pick? The best drag and drop website builder for most people is Squarespace.
The drag and drop site builder, now essentially a standard of the site building industry, has certainly revolutionised the scene, enabling those who have absolutely no idea as to what coding is to create great-looking, functional, and highly engaging websites.
But, as with all things, not all drag and drop on website builders are made equal. Indeed, it could be easy to find yourself blown away by the features offered on the builder’s website, only to be seriously underwhelmed once you sign up for an account.
In this review, we present the five best drag and drop website builders for the year, some of them and drag and drop website builder software free download. These include several options that may be used by novices or could serve as valuable tools for ecommerce entrepreneurs who want to build a site ASAP and cash in on the growing online marketplace.
In any case, we present options that you can use right out of the box without having to download, as well as the best drag and drop site builders to take up residence on your desktop.
What are Drag and Drop Website Builders?
In the earliest days of personal site creation, you would have probably worked with a content management system (CMS) interface which works along the same lines as a word processing software. All you needed to do was open up the interface, then start typing away, adding visual elements via drop-down menu.
The drag and drop on website principle changed things for site builders. Site creators can easily select design elements and pull them into their layout. The keen thing about this manner of drag and drop interface site creation is that it allows users to resize, configure, arrange elements, add text, and even select colour schemes and templates with minimal effort. Best of all, many drag and drop website builder software free downloads are available.
Our List of the Best Drag and Drop Website Builders:
Our lineup of the best drag and drop website builders includes a couple of old favourites along with recent players in the industry who have grabbed the attention of users, particularly those involved in the ecommerce sector.
Based on our own testing and research, the lineup for the best drag and drop website builders is as follows:
- Squarespace – Best for Aesthetics
- Zyro – Best in Affordability
- SITE123 – Best for Beginners
- Wix – Best general Drag and Drop Website Builder
- GoDaddy – Fast Website Creation
How We Chose the Best Drag and Drop Website Builders:
Our review of the best drag and drop website builders is based on how each of these creation platforms performed in terms of the following aspects:
- Ease of Use – Is the drag and drop interface of the website builder easy to use for beginners?
- Features and functionality – What helpful features and functionality does the drag and drop on website builder have?;
- SEO & Mobility – Does the drag and drop interface website builder contain features that help you rank well on search engines? Is it mobile responsive?
- Support and Resources – What types and quality of support does the drag and drop on website builder have? Do they provide competent support?
- Value for money – Overall, does the drag and drop interface site builder give you great bang for your buck?
Our Best Drag and Drop Website Builders in Detail:
Squarespace is one of the few ecommerce-centric drag-and-drop site builders available that goes beyond retail as its range of solutions includes features specific to the creative industry, service industry, and the performing arts.
It's not the most tractable of drag and drop on website builders, but it is one of the more popular choices as it allows users to offer scheduled services and digital downloads on top of physical products.
- Drag and drop on website builder with built-in ecommerce capabilities;
- Over 100 industry-specific design templates;
- Built-in site customisation modules;
- Cloud-based hosting;
- Mobile application for editing or site management on the fly; and
- SEO toolkit
- Truly optimised for ecommerce site creation and management;
- Industry-specific templates allow creators to have a professional look for their sites;
- Top notch when it comes to technical support
- Drag and drop interface builder can be difficult to manipulate, especially for those new to the platform;
- Scores low when it comes to customisation
Subscription cost runs between $12 and $40 a month, with ecommerce plans pegged at $26 monthly at the most basic. Drag and drop website builder software free download is not available.
Part of the Hostinger Group, this Lithuanian site builder is barely three years old, having begun its run in 2019. However, Zyro has grown significantly over such a short period of time and has become a site builder appreciated by those who want something that's easy to use, but also accords a fair modicum of aesthetic flexibility.
It also has a stellar reputation for leaving older blogging platforms in the dust, thanks to a user interface that anyone can use even without an automated walkthrough or tutorial. No hitches, no problems.
- Drag and drop website builder;
- Customisation toolkit;
- AI Writer for creating placeholder pages; and
- Ecommerce toolkit
- Optimises the use of AI for absolute ease when it comes to site creation;
- One of the easiest drag and drop website builders to use;
- Highly professional ecommerce tools give online entrepreneurs a competitive advantage
- Customisation options are still quite limited;
- Unreliable technical support;
- Domain management can get unnecessarily complicated
- Monthly costs range between $1.30 and $19.99, with a money-back guarantee;
- Unfortunately, Zyro does not offer free plans or even a free trial; no drag and drop website builder software free download available.
As its name suggests, SITE123 is one of the most basic drag and drop on website builders currently online. It has given those who are completely clueless about site creation and coding of any sort the ability to create working websites almost at a drop of a hat. However, SITE123's greatest strength is also its greatest flaw: it may work for beginners, but don't expect it to create more elaborate sites with a more extensive range of features.
Still, the straightforward approach it takes to site building gets the creator's job done and it also offers value for money. However, as reviewers, we can't help but wonder as to how long SITE123 will be able to keep its place in the selections of the world's best drag and drop website builders.
- Conventional drag and drop on website builder;
- Core SEO toolkit;
- Google Analytics for metrics monitoring;
- Social media integration for more than 25 popular social networking platforms, but note this does not offer live feeds to user pages
- Predefined site creation parameters allow for the ultimate ease of use;
- One of the few site builders to offer a free-to-use edition;
- Offers multilingual options to make things easier for site creators whose native language isn’t English
- Drag and drop website builder software free download edition available; however, it is riddled with pop-ups that tend to distract site creators from their work;
- One of the pricier website building options, but it doesn’t really give that much bang for your buck;
- Layout templates are very pedestrian at best and there are very few ways by which these can be enhanced.
Monthly rates range between $12.80 and $34.80, but we feel that even their lowest-priced subscriptions are too expensive for a builder that’s very basic in nature.
You can access the drag and drop website builder software free download through this link.
Founded in and still operating from Tel Aviv, Israel, Wix is the drag and drop on website builder of choice for over four million users across the globe and has been since 2006. Having grown by leaps and bounds over the course of nearly two decades, it offers a two-pronged approach to site building. Users can simply answer a few questions and generate an AI-built website or use the drag and drop interface approach using the template-based builder.
- WIX Artificial Design Intelligence (WIX ADI) site builder;
- Conventional drag and drop interface builder;
- SEO tool suite; and
- Ecommerce tool suite
- One of the easiest drag and drop on website builder to learn and use;
- Offers possibly the most extensive selection of functional add-ons;
- Offers maximum creative flexibility;
- Excellent technical assistance
- No reversion function on this drag and drop interface builder; If you create a page using a specific template, you can’t easily swap it out and need to start again from scratch;
- The more scalable features involve premium third-party applications that need to be paid for;
- One can easily get lost with all the available features in the UI
Monthly rates range between $18 and $56.
Drag and drop website builder software free download available.
While GoDaddy is best known for its site hosting services – something appreciated by a growing number of ecommerce hubs around the world, but most especially within Southeast Asia, it has one of the most popular and effective drag and drop site builders available online.
Like Wix ADI, GoDaddy banks on the use of artificial intelligence to create a truly intuitive site building experience for users. All you need to do is answer a few system-generated questions regarding what you need for your site, and it essentially weaves the framework for you and you can just stick in the bells and whistles of your choice to improve site functionality and aesthetic value.
- Easy to master drag and drop website builder with AI functionality for greater ease of use;
- Ecommerce and SEO tool suites;
- Social media integration feature; and
- Comprehensive site analytics
- Site creation in as fast as a few minutes;
- Extensive range of tools, including those for hosting, analytics, and site security;
- One of the most reasonably-priced site building options currently online
- Limited choices when it comes to aesthetic elements;
- Limited functionality even in the case of higher-tier subscriptions;
- Websites built with the platform tend to lack the polish and functionality of those created with competitors
Price range will set subscribers back between $9.99 and $24.99 monthly, putting GoDaddy in the position of being the most cost-friendly drag and drop interface site building options available.
The $24.99 ecommerce website package also includes a variety of tools with which to build an effective and engaging online store.
No drag and drop website builder software free download available.
Conclusion and Recommendations:
As we stated earlier in the introduction, not all drag and drop website builders are made equal, but the very best ones are those that allow for maximum ease of use, allowing users to build and deploy their sites in minutes. Some services even offer drag and drop website builder software free downloads.
While there are ecommerce-ready leading options like Squarespace and Zyro, we recommend that those in the market for the best drag and drop website builders read up, do their own research, and find a builder that really suits the way they work.
I have an online business; which of these best drag and drop website builders should I consider?
While both Wix and Zyro have ecommerce capabilities, the gold standard for a drag and drop store builder is a toss-up between Squarespace and GoDaddy. Both of these platforms offer an extensive range of tools for creating - and managing - a highly effective and engaging online store.
I have absolutely no experience when it comes to coding; which one of these drag and drop on website builders would work best for me?
If you are absolutely tabula rasa when it comes to site building, we recommend cutting your teeth on Site123 as it has the easiest drag and drop on website builder anyone can use. However, its key drawback is that it isn’t very scalable when the time comes for you to expand your audience or grow your online business. In which case, Wix would work for you just fine.
That's all for now:
If you've read all the way through this best drag and drop website builders list, we are thankful. We hope you can now answer the question of what is the best drag and drop website builder option for you! We have a large collection of articles, guides, and comparison reviews of eCommerce solutions, web hosting providers, website builders, and more! Feel free to check them out;
- Squarespace vs GoDaddy
- Snappages Review
- GoDaddy Website Builder Reviews
- Weebly vs GoDaddy
- GoDaddy Hosting Plan
Not only the best tea/coffee maker on the team Sophie is our Chief Editor. Skilled across multiple marketing skill areas Sophie is our all rounder and a great asset to the team. Sophie is a website building trainer and tech writer who takes pride in helping small businesses and startups build their websites and launch their eCommerce platforms. Sophie is also the practical joker of the team and always wears a smile on her face. In her spare time she likes to spend her time with family. She loves going on holidays and spending time with friends.